Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thirst No.1 by Christopher Pike

As to blood -- ah, blood, the whole subject fascinates me. I do like that as well, warm and dripping, when I am thirsty. And I am often thirsty....
Alisa has been in control of her urges for the five thousand years she has been a vampire. She feeds but does not kill, and she lives her life on the fringe to maintain her secret. But when her creator returns to hunt her, she must break her own rules in order to survive.
Her quest leads her to Ray. He is the only person who can help her; he also has every reason to fear her. Alisa must get closer to him to ensure her immortality. But as she begins to fall in love with Ray, suddenly there is more at stake than her own life....
---
Thirst #1, which is actually three books wrapped into one honkin paper back (or hardback), was a 3 out of 5 to me. I felt like the story progressed too fast. I would have loved it if the author would have went more in depth with Sita`s ( Alisa, as she is called on the back of the book and throughout  most of the story. You will understand the name usage when or if you have already read the book. If you haven't read it -- NO SPOILER HERE!!) story. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I would recommend it. One thing that also got to me was the constant death of her lovers. In one story she would have one and he would die in the next one, and at the end of that same story, she would get another lover (and she quickly falls in love. A lot.), and he would die in the next one. It was aggravating because as I'm reading, I start to like these guys, then they just suddenly die. Its a WTF?!?! moment. 
However, I loved the way Christopher weaved the past into his story. I'm not sure if all of it is true (not the best historian, people), but I would slightly compare it to Anne rice`s Vampire Chronicles, but with less depth. He has all the right history, and he just inserts his character and it works perfectly.
As I have said, it is fast paced, but a very good read. If you see it in your Library or you happen to have extra cash when you go shopping, or you are simply looking for new and interesting reads, then you should definitely pick up Thirst.

<3: Ce-Ce Wroth

1 comments:

Danmark said...

This series was my first foray into vampire fiction, after Dracula, and I still have to say it's my favorite. I'm so glad Simon Pulse decided to release these as a two-book collection, rather than the original six-book series, and the cover design is so fresh and elegant, it really brings the series (which is only ten years old, but that is like 45 in book years) into right here, right now.

Re-reading these, I am struck by how good they are, how expressive, and how truly weary Sita's voice is; after thousands of years of being hunted, feared, mistrusted, she is forced out of a relatively peaceful existence due to the overwhelming greed and ignorance of the humans around her. What I respect about Pike as a writer is that he can really capture the emotional spine of this story through a woman's eyes without over-sentimentalizing.