Monday, November 7, 2011

The Iron King

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart
---
So, the beginning of the book was pretty slow. I had to skip it. Things started to get interesting when she saw ash, but in the middle of the book, it kinda slowed down some.
but, I really liked the book, but I'm not totally in love with the book. I'm planning on reading the Iron Daughter out of pure curiosity, but from the descriptions that I have read on the whole series, I don't think I will want to read the newest book, and from what I gather, the author stretches the whole story line out, and I hate that.
But then again, my whole opinion on that last bit might change.
Another thing that irked me about this book was the cruelty the "cool" people made, for lack of words, towards Meghan. I mean, sure I'm not popular in school, and I live in a small town, but I have NEVER seen or heard such things as these people said or talked about this girl at my school. Yes, there are fights and some enemies because  of stupid things, and rumors, but never such nastiness as this.
It irks me because most authors portray high school, or even middle school as a world where girls or boys get called names and fake nude photos get sent to every cell phone for revenge. News flash, authors. Not all people converse with jocks and cheerleaders, and not all people only have one friend or something like that. Yes, there are clicks, but never one lone person. Im starting to think you guys need to go back to school. If it was like that when you guys WERE in school, get with the times. Not everyone is cruel.
However, one thing I loved about this book was the setting and the characters. I loved how it seemed like a cross between Shakespeare, Alice in Wonderland, and Wicked Lovely. I have not read A Midsummer Night`s Dream, but from what I have heard of it, the characters that the author portrayed them after were well written and it spiked a curiosity in me about the play.
Alice in wonderland comes to mind because of the cat, who has to be one of my favorite characters, the other being Puck, int eh whole story. It seems like they are the only one with a sense of humor.
Wicked Lovely because of the Winter and Summer courts, and how Meghan was drug into this strange new world. But, without the romance and having to marry the Summer King and all.
The world that the author wrote into this book was beautiful in my minds eye, and I loved how she had so many known, and unknown, characters gracing the pages. I learned a lot about the Fae from this book, whether or not its true or not.
I'm pretty sure I'm rambling now, do Ill finish up.
I rate this book 4 out of 5, simply because of the flaws I stated above. I plan on buying it, and recommend it to those who love reading about the mythical creatures called Fae, and who can stand the headache of trying to finish it. That was a funny. My headache came from the fact that I didn't read one lick of this story with my glasses on, like I was supposed to.

0 comments: