Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: The Iron Witch + One More


The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)Freak. That's what her classmates call seventeen-year-old Donna Underwood. When she was seven, a horrific fey attack killed her father and drove her mother mad. Donna's own nearly fatal injuries from the assault were fixed by magic—the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms. The child of alchemists, Donna feels cursed by the magical heritage that destroyed her parents and any chance she had for a normal life. The only thing that keeps her sane and grounded is her relationship with her best friend, Navin Sharma.
When the darkest outcasts of Faerie—the vicious wood elves—abduct Navin, Donna finally has to accept her role in the centuries old war between the humans and the fey. Assisted by Xan, a gorgeous half-fey dropout with secrets of his own, Donna races to save her friend—even if it means betraying everything her parents and the alchemist community fought to the death to protect. -from Goodreads










Yay! Another review! So, I have been enjoying my Christmas break so far. I mean, c`mon, whats not to love? However, my reading habits kinda die when Im not at school. Nobody to ignore, really, plus Iv Been working on the blog. Like the background? ;)

I picked this book up because it had two things I liked -- Witches and very pretty cover art. Thats what I look for in a book. My mom read it, said it was good, so I decided to put down The Lost Gate and read this one. So, for the past two days I have been reading this book, and this is what I think about when I see/look/think of this book --

Its a very easy read, not too thin, but not too thick. It combines many things, like Feys and Alchemist (if I even spelled that right) and things like that. It was pretty easy, but the thing that got me was... there werent any witches! Thats just what the wood elves call Donna.

Another thing that go me, and I know it shouldnt, was the fact that one of the feys in the story, one of the main ones, is a... guy. I just cant picture it, though I know its possible. He has secrets, but its kinda sad that we didnt get to go into depth about them. I mean, we get to see some of his secrets, but hes kinda left all misterious and all.

Note to author: That gets old. Really fast.

And speaking of getting depth, we dont really get to see what we want to of Donnas world. Sure, when we need the information, she tells us about that. And I do mean tells us. The book may be in third person, but it might as well be in first because it was all about Donna.

Another note to author: Expand the view! It would have been really cool to just see, if not in snipets, Navin`s feelings of Donna and how he was taken and all. Even Xan was kinda interesting. It made me wanna know what he was thinking a bit.

And, not to be mean, but through out most of the story, Donna seemed to be... well, stupid, for lack of words. And, Im pretty sure you all know what Im talking about when I say... it was too fast!

Their feelings I mean. It wasnt even a day after Donna and Xan met that she thinks something like -- "I think Im falling for him".

WTF?!

But, I will admit this:
The story was creative and well written. I dont think I have ever read a book where the enemies of the Fey were Alchemists. Im kinda not sure I wanna read the second book. Its another one of those stories where you just can imagine a sequal -- its fine on its own.

But, if I did get one thing out of this book, its that I now really, really wanna wear Iron. Maybe an Iron cross? It will keep BOTH vampires and Faeries away. ;P Whatcha think?

I rate this book:


(4 out of 5)



The Wood Queen (out February 8th 2012)-

The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2)Donna Underwood is in deep trouble.An ancient alchemical order is holding her accountable for destroying the last precious drops of the elixar of life. Never mind the fact that Donna was acting to free her friend, Navin, from the dangerous clutches of the Wood Queen at the time. But what the alchemists have in store is nothing compared to the wrath of the fey. The Wood Queen has been tricked and Donna must pay. Get ready for all hell - quite literally - to break loose...
-From goodreads

0 comments: