Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games, plus 1 more

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love
-From Goodreads


Well, I might as well start by saying that the only reason I read this book was because my little sister had read it and seemed to really enjoy it.

Am I glad I read it?

kinda.

I will admitt that I so love the fact that its kinda like Incarceron. Had the hold times and the new times mixed together, and I cant but always think that its always the perfect world. except for all the bad circumstances. Hell, I mostly liked it because Katniss had a bow. Have a soft spot for bow and arrow users. Its like the ultimalte weapon to me.

And I kinda cant help but think of how hot Orlando Bloom played Legolas in LoTR.

The Hunger Games kept me guessing and guessing. I would think something one happen, or someone would stab Katniss in the back, and I would be proven wrong in the next moment. I savored that simply becuase you dont get many books these days that make you guess all the time. But, one thing that could have made it so much better would have to be the POV.

It would have been so much better if it was in third person and not soley focused on the main character. It would have been awesome to get into the minds of the other characters, the other opponents in the games.

I would also like to understand why they call it the hunger games. Maybe we will find out in the other books? But then again, I dont think I would read them. I have a feeling its going to turn into a love triangle, and that is one of my pet-peeves. Falling in love too quickly is another.

I love the names and the world, as I have said before. I actually enoyed it and I will admitt that I didnt even know what it was about.

I rate this book:

(5 out of 5)


And who isnt ready for the movie?!? I watched the preview after I finished the book (or was it before?) and it looked so friggen awesome that I watched it again. Im definatly going to see it. Watch the trailer if you havent already!


So, when I was watching the trailer, I saw a few familiar faces, along with some new ones.

Jennifer Lawrence... Katniss Everdeen
Josh Hutcherson... Peeta Mellark
Liam Hemsworth... Gale Hawthorne
Elizabeth Banks... Effie Trinket
Woody Harrelson... Haymitch Abernathy
Stanley Tucci... Caesar Flickerman
Alexander Ludwig... Cato
Amandla Stenberg... Rue
Isabelle Fuhrman... Clove
Willow Shields... Primrose Everdeen
Donald Sutherland... President Snow
Leven Rambin... Glimmer
Toby Jones... Claudius Templesmith
Wes Bentley... Seneca Crane
Lenny Kravitz... Cinna
Jacqueline Emerson... Foxface
Paula Malcomson... Mrs. Everdeen
Dayo Okeniyi... Thresh
Amber Chaney... Avox Girl
Phillip Troy Linger... Katniss's Father
Latarsha Rose... Portia
Raiko Bowman... Peeta's Mom
Tara Macken... District 4 Tribute Girl
Jack Quaid... Marvel
Brooke Bundy... Octavia
Nelson Ascencio... Flavius
Ian Nelson... District 3 Boy
Kimiko Gelman... Venia

Sam Ly... District 7 Tribute Boy
Leigha Hancock... District 7 Tribute Girl
David Goff... Head Peace Keeper
Sam Tan... District 8 Tribute Boy

Ashton Moio... District 6 Tribute
Kalia Prescott... District 3 Tribute Girl
Annie Thurman... District 9 Tribute
Dakota Hood... District 10 Tribute Girl
Ethan Jamieson... District 4 Tribute Boy
Chris Mark... District 5 Tribute Boy
Kara Petersen... District 6 Tribute Girl
Karan Kendrick... Atala
Nick Karner... District 11 Farmer
Jeremy Marinas... District 10 Tribute Boy


(See the whole cast listing here)

So, a question. Do you think that this cast does the characters justice??

1 comments:

Ning said...

I Love the hunger games! I'm debating if I should reread it before the movie!

Also, I just awarded you the Liebster award. Come accept it at my blog!!

Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire