Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Clutch ( I am Just Junco #1)

Clutch (I Am Just Junco, #1)How long can you lie to yourself before it all comes apart?

In 2152 the avian race is on Earth looking for something stolen from them decades ago – their genetics. At the center of the search lies the Rural Republic; a small backwards farming country with high hopes of military domination and a penchant for illegal bioengineering.

19 year old Junco Coot is the daughter of the Rural Republic’s ranking commander. She’s the most foul-mouthed, wildly unpredictable and ruthless sniper the Rural Republic has ever trained. But when her father’s death sparks a trip into forbidden places, she triggers events that will change everything she knows to be true.

As an elite avian military officer, Tier’s mission is to destroy the bioengineering projects, kill Commander Coot’s daughter, and return home immediately. There’s just one problem. Junco isn’t who she claims to be.

With no one to trust, not even herself, Junco must confront the secrets of her past and accept her place in the future, or risk losing herself completely.

CONTENT WARNING The I Am Just Junco series is NOT YOUNG ADULT. This series contains foul language and graphic violence.



There was only one other book I had read about avians and it was "They Call me Death" by Missy Jane. Brilliant book, by the way. When I saw this book, I thought it would be awesome and Kick-ass.
However, my first initial thought when I finished reading was that it was a book about a girl who thinks shes a badass, but is instead being a scardy cat and crying over things most of the time. She cussed WAY too much, and although she had heart and spirit, I seriously thought she was bipolar.
I was confused thruought most of the book, although I do think that was the intention. Keep the reader in the dark because the main character cant remeber anything. It would have helped, though, if things- like the situation and the characters- were expalined more, instead of having to go in and be expected to know everything. News flash-- we dont. It hard to desipher and put two and two together when we should just be able to sit back and enjoy the story. It might have also helped if the story wasnt in first person.
But, there are some good points for this book. The plot is interesting and original, and the time period and the way things worked were cool. Gotta love them syfy books, am I right? The setting was beautiful, what little we "saw" of it, the mythology was off the roof. Im a sucker for mythology -- so what? It kept me interested, and it had a certain quality going for it that makes a reader want to keep reading just to see what happens next because it is unpredictable.
It was a very good paver for the second book, despite my misgivings for it. My only hope for this series is that it gets better as it continues. Action and little snipets of romance was plentiful, but there wasnt as much as I hoped for, considering Im a true romance fan, of course.
I did have problems getting into it, true, but after a few chapters the action sucks you in and you cant help but like it. Im glad I read it, and I cant wait to finish the second book. I rate this book:


Four out of Five

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks a bunch for hosting me on your blog! I really appreciate your review. :)

Julie