Monday, July 1, 2013

Spotlight and Review: Blood Runs Deep in the Empire (The Szolites #1) by N. Isabelle Blanco




Blood Flows Deep in the Empire (The Szolites, #1)Blood Flows Deep in the Empire by N. Isabelle Blanco
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I absolutely love books about the gods and goddesses, and while I understand there are more than just Greek Mythology out there, I was unaware about this... type of mythology.
Im going to start out with the negatives before the positives. It was kinda hard to connect with the characters because I knew next to nothing about them (in the mythological sense). Were these Gods made up, are they based off of some legend... what?
Another pet peeve I had about this book was the names. I swear, I couldn't pronounce the names and there weren't really any nicknames to go by. Because they were all so long and difficult, they also sounded similar and I caught myself confusing some of the characters.
One other thing -- the romance. I loved it, it was hot and wicked, but I felt it was... too fast and confusing. I like a little "back story" to why they fall in love, not fickle emotions. However, I am also aware that some people love it that way. To each their own!

Leaving all that behind, I absolutely LOVED the story. It was interesting, the situation was completely new, and I totally look forward to continuing the series and solving the questions this one left behind. And I have no doubt they will be just as hot (insert winking face). Even though I don't have as much positive points about this book as I do negatives, I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone.

Its hot, its sexy, it has a very good pace. I was left on the edge of my seat time and time again, yelled and cried a few times, wished I could reach into the book to bitch slap a few characters. I am absolutely glad that I read this book, and despite the few flaws I mentioned above, this book was one of my favorites this year.




Blood Flows Deep in the Empire (The Szolites, #1)Dyletri, God of Fertility, has locked away his powers. No woman is allowed to touch him, not until he can return his long-dead lover back to life. All he has to do is sacrifice one human girl, a girl who unlocks his powers and rips his dormant lust right out of his body. Trapped by his promise, Dyletri has no choice but to watch Ismini die, no matter how much he wants her.

Yet the darkness of his calling is spiraling within him, demanding he claim the human as his. If he goes back on his promise, the energy of the Fates will cause untold destruction in the Universe. That doesn’t change how Dyletri’s begun exhibiting symptoms that point to more than just lust. How does he allow Ismini to die when she’s come to own him from the inside out?

Desire and torment spiral into something much darker than obsession, more turbulent than an addiction, and something much more brutal than a mere soul-mating. As a war is being rekindled right under his nose, Dyletri will have to come to terms with a destiny eleven thousand years in the making. He thought he’d known what path his future would take, but he’d been wrong. Now the one woman he truly loves might pay the price for his decision.

Blood Flows Deep in the Empire is the first in a series that will pit free-will against Destiny, Destiny against Fate, and love against brutal desire. Everyone likes to think they have a choice as to who they end up with, but as they rise to face the greatest threat they’ve ever known, even the Gods will learn they have to bend to Destiny’s whim to survive


 photo signature.png

0 comments: