Monday, February 10, 2014

Review: Chosen by Heather Fleener (Ancients of Light #1)


Chosen (Ancients of Light, #1)

Chosen (Ancients of Light #1)

by
In the beginning...there were Vampire

Man’s fall from grace sparked the birth of the Dark creatures from the underworld. To counter the explicit threat to mankind, divinely-created immortals were brought forth. The Witch encompassed seven Castes of power; their magic was most effective against the nefarious agenda pursued by the evil ones.

She is Chosen...
Kaitriana’s gift of magic is unrivaled. A descendant of the most powerful Ancient in existence, her birth was foretold ages before her time. Destined to lead the Witch faction, she is betrayed by her own kind, destroying her birthright and all hope of delivering the Realm from the sinister shadow of the Ancient Dark.

He is the Key...
Lorcan is a mighty warlord in the Vampire species. His animosity towards the magical immortals is personal - his mother was their Queen. Having long since severed all ties with his former kin, his existence remains plagued by the repercussions of her treachery and a secret that threatens to be his downfall.

They are the Prophecy...
An arcane prophecy from the time of the Ancients proclaims that only two in all of creation can bring peace to the Realm. When Kaitriana miraculously appears seeking his protection, Lorcan must forsake his duty and disregard the dictates of his breed to shelter the female. Together they must combat the Ancient Dark and surmount the forces within their own factions that would oppose the Prophecy. Their fates have always been entwined and only when joined can they triumph over a blood feud that has shadowed the Light for millennia.


Let me just say, that I rate this book more of a 3.5. Its an interesting concept, and I will admit that there were factors in it that made me not want to put it down, but there were a whole lot of things that made me want to put it down at the same time.

Let me start by saying that the world is fresh and new, and I enjoyed sitting down and reading something different and unlike the worlds that occupy plenty of the books today. Thats why I read fantasy and paranormal genres. They offer something  that contemporary books don't.

Now, onto the characters. OMG, I swear I have a love hate relationship with Kat. Not even joking, and Im not even sure that healthy for a  book reader. Until about the middle of the book, I really liked her. She had spunk and wit and she was badass. But then she constantly put her foot in her mouth and made a fool of herself and it was emberrassing to read through that.

Lorcan, while I understand some of his issues... I just didnt like him. And I didn't like the pairing. They didn't fit. It was like trying to fit a square block into a circle hole -- you know those toys babies play with? Thats what Im trying to compare it to.

But I still pushed through the book. I mean, aside from the characters really pissing me off and being annoyed that in the middle of the book there is a plot twist that really confuses to story and is not needed and made the book unnecessarily long, I enjoyed this book. I might even read the rest of the series, just to see what happens.

And thats why its not a one star, two stars, or even just simply a three stars review. Its because Heather Fleener managed to catch my attention and make me want more. Luckly, I believe that the next book has two differnt main charcters, so maybe it was just a fluke that I didnt really like the two main characters of this one. All I can say is wait and see.

But don't let me dissuade you from reading this book. Everyone has their own opinions about characters and plots and who knows -- it could be your next favorite book! So, if you like plot twists, vampires, witches, and (of course) that power struggle between good and evil, check out the book!
 photo signature.png

0 comments: