Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review: Persephone (Daughters of Zeus #1)

Persephone (Daughters of Zeus #1)Persephone (Daughters of Zeus #1)

by


There are worse things than death, worse people too

The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.



I love, love, love mythology and its one of my favorite subjects in school. So, when I saw that this book was up for review, I just had to jump at the chance to read it. I thought the befinning was slow, but it quickly picked up. I loved the way the mythology was woven into the story, despite the fact that the legends itself was not in, just the people and some of the situations, if you know what I mean.
I expected Persephone herself to be a little, older, not a teen. She acted a bit mature, but you still get the whiney underlayer all teens seem to get. The story really kicked butt, and Hades and Persephone didnt fall in love too fast, which was perfect for me. Falling in love too fast is one of my pet peeves, I have undoubtedly mentioned before. It was cute how they tried to best each other in everything. Really puppy love.

However, I was slightly dissapointed that Hades wasnt the bad-ass in this book like he was in the legends. I mean, hello! God of the Underworld? Thats supposed to mean something. He was too soft for my liking. Im hoping that in the next one we will get the hard-ass back and not have to deal with the softy. I wished that he could have been more.... well, bad-ass.
But, I guess I cant complain because there definatly was a lot of action. I loved those parts! And the twists and turns through the book kept me on edge and made the book hard to put down. The ending was a complete shocker, and it made me scream. I was like "No way!!".

The people in the book were interesting, and so was Hades (The place, not the person). I expected somthing scary and spooky, not.... modern. Although we didnt really get to see the whole place (well, a small scene with taterus), it was well described and I felt connected to it in a way. Im looking forward to see whats in store for persephone and Hades. Will their love grow stronger? Will Persephone grow up and stop making childish mistakes? Im not really counting on it...

All in all, this story was interesting, different, and fresh. It really was cool to see Hades as a hero instead of a bad guy, no matter how much the balance tipped too far in favor of softy. But hey, the bad guys who have a soft side seem to be more loved. I did enjoy every moment of reading this book, and I recomend it to anyone who loved to read about mythology.

I rate this book a:

5 out of 5

0 comments: