Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review: Daughter of the Earth and Sky

Daughter of the Earth and Sky (Daughters of Zeus, #2)Some vows can never be broken.

Persephone thought she could go back to her normal life after returning from the Underworld. She was wrong.
The goddess Aphrodite is born among the waves with more charm than she can control. Zeus is stalking Persephone and her loved ones, and Thanatos is no longer content with Persephone’s silence.

He wants her soul.

Persephone can’t tell anyone about Thanatos’ betrayal, and it drives a wedge between her and Hades. Her mother is still keeping secrets, and Melissa’s jealousy of Aphrodite threatens to tear their friendship apart.
Alone, Persephone turns to a human boy for comfort. But will their relationship put him in danger?
Sacrifices must be made, and Persephone must choose between her human life and her responsibilities as a goddess. If she doesn’t, she could lose them both.
But will either life be worth choosing once Zeus is through with her?

----

I must admit, when I started this book, I was a little nervous because Im not a big fan of second books in the series like this- especially when its about the same characters- because for some reason authors think its fun to screw up our favorite relationships. Take the Hush-Hush and HON series for example. I usually try to stay away from the second, and sometimes third, books in a series.
But, despite all the warnings in my head, I read it. And I... LOVED it! I downed it in just a few hours. Yea, there was the teen drama and a little bit of the screwy relationship I had feared would be in it, but in a way, the story was enhanced because of it.

Aphrodite and Poseidon are introduced in this one, but Aphrodite has the bigger part. Instead of being a goddess that existed for eaons, she was recently born in an attempt... at Im still not sure. Although I am dissapointed that the goddess of love is basically a "Child", her appearance really spices things up. The way the myth around her birth is weaved into the story is beautiful and goes a long way in making thing up when it comes to the mythology.

I did get slightly confused towards the end. Yea, I know... Whats new? Anyways, I got what the author was trying to do, but it probably would have been a little more clearer if it hadnt been in first person, and maybe would have resulted in a little less... "What the hell is going on?" while reading it.

My favorite parts, however, were with Hades. Of course. Im getting used to the soft Hades, and Im glad that I got to see his darker sides a little more in this book. Totally soft Hades is a bore, you know. Hot guys with a totured pasts are like candy to us females, you know.

As I might have mentioned before, I dont like reading more in a series because they never live up to the first book. But this one SURPASSED the first one. Seriously.

I cant wait to read the next one, although Im quite certain the multiple POV changes wont help. Im also worried that Persephone and Hade`s relationship will somehow change, like I had feared it would in this book. But hey, Im in for the long haul now, so Im just going to go along for the ride from this point out.

If you havnt read either of these books yet ( Persephone and Daughter of the Earth and Sky), you should totally go out and buy them. They are amazing and should be apart of any collection.

Anxiously waiting for more!

I rate this book:

5 out of 5


0 comments: